Saturday, May 21, 2011
Growing up
So apparently there is talk of a certain someone coming back today at 6:00 p.m. so I guess that leaves time for one more blog. You know I was just thinking today about how I think I've reached that point in my life where I find God cool. you know what point I'm talking about? I think everyone reaches that point in there life at some time (maybe not necessarily concerning God) ...normally when you move out of the house or go away to college. That point where you realize your parents are cool and what they used to say actually made a lot of sense. That they are actually very intelligent and have so much wisdom, and basically that they are just cool. Yeah I think I've reached that point with God. Because I'm learning so much about Him and realizing just how awesome he is. I reached this point with my parents a few years ago, I guess when I went to college. I realized how amazing my parents are, and how much wisdom they have. For example, I realized how awesome my parents are with money. When I was growing up, I used to think my family was poor. I mean we only shopped at the jockey lot and I only wore hand-me-downs from my cousins who had passed it down to 2 of my other cousins, then my sister, and then me. We never really had name brand stuff or the nicest cars or anything. so therefore when I saw other kids who bought clothes with the tags still on them, I just assumed that my family was poor. But here is the kicker, we used to go to Disneyworld almost every year of my childhood it seemed. We used to take trips all the time, and we have honestly taken at least two vacations a year since I was born. I've been able to go to other countries on mission trips, and lastly, My sister and I have both graduated college with ZERO debt (which is virtually impossible nowadays). I say this in no way to brag or boast (I know my parents probably wouldn't want me to say it, but when there is an opportunity to give glory to God Almighty for meeting our needs why not right? and to say that my parents have made smart choices with their money. they didn't use it to put on a show, but to make memories, and for this I am so grateful now. They have instilled this into my siblings and I. Now back to the whole God being cool thing. You know I realize as I learn more about God, that he really is so smart. You know most of the things (like commandments and laws and stuff) he said in the Bible are FOR us, not FOR him. So many times growing up, I thought he said all those things because the only way we could be good enough for him was to do them. It was like his way of showing us he was better than us or something. And just like the rules your parents give you, you think they are dumb. Until you reach a point where you realize that they did it cuz they love you. God had all of these things written down for us, because He wants us to have the best life imaginable. We were designed to live life with Him. And when we don't, things get messy. That's not how life was supposed to be lived. That's why he tells us not to sin. Because God is water and sin is oil. They just don't mix. We shouldn't not sin because we are afraid we will go to hell or because we want to be a witness to others (not that those are bad reasons), but they are like dieting so you can be skinny or so other people will find you attractive. Unless you diet to be healthy, it won't last and its probably unhealthy. We shouldn't sin because it separates us from God. So sin is essentially anything that keeps us from Him. That plain and simple. one last think and I'll shut my yapper. Lately I've been dealing with not having hard feelings toward someone that I feel did me wrong, that hurt me. I'm not really bitter, I'm just still dealing with wanting the best for that person. I've been praying that God would help me to fully forgive them and to heal my life. But then the other day, something happened. I just started praying FOR that person, instead of about them. And you know what, it was hard to have hard feelings for them when I was praying for them. And then that thing called a light bulb went off and I realized why God says, bless those that curse you and pray for you enemies. Because its about YOU not them. He knows that praying for them and blessing them is the way for you to get over them. Its not so you can be holy and righteous and "do the right thing." It's so you can be whole. And that is the life he wants for you. So that is my thought for today. It is awesome to realize that we really do mature in our relationship with Christ, just like we mature in life. Have any of you reached this point? would love to hear your thoughts. Peace, love, and pura vida.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your family is such an inspiration to me:) hopefully Addy won`t hold a grudge about wearing Avari`s hand me downs;)
ReplyDeleteand I know exactly what you mean about praying for people who have hurt you. This is difficult for older people as much as younger. But you are so right about having to let it go so you can be whole.
I know I sin everyday and I am so thankful that God has grace and forgiveness and loves me unconditionally. That is a great feeling and an awesome sense of peace.